Sclerotherapy is the leading vein treatment for spider veins and small varicose veins. We perform sclerotherapy in our office with no incisions or stitches, and very little downtime so that you can enjoy improved skin with minimal disruption to your usual routine.
People considering vein treatments often research both sclerotherapy and “laser” treatments. Sclerotherapy is more affordable than laser alternatives, requires fewer treatments, is less painful, and in our experience more effective. Laser devices are only able to treat the surface of the skin, and cannot effectively get to the source of where the blood is coming from. This means the vessels will continue to return time and time again even if you see good initial results from a laser treatment.
To determine if you are a candidate for sclerotherapy, contact us to schedule your consultation.
Why We're Nashville's Top Choice
- Stephen Davis is a talented plastic surgeon who has a keen understanding of how to make skin healthier, younger-looking and more attractive.
- Dr. Davis is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Plastic Surgeons.
- Green Hills Plastic Surgery has been helping Nashville residents achieve their aesthetic goals for more than two decades.
Is Sclerotherapy Right for You?
Sclerotherapy is an effective treatment for people who have spider veins or smaller varicose veins
- Spider veins are thin, red, blue or purple in appearance. They do not bulge out from the skin and are visible primarily due to their color. Very thin, red spider veins are some of the most challenging to treat effectively.
- Varicose veins bulge or bump out from the skin’s surface. We can successfully treat milder, smaller varicose veins with sclerotherapy. Fatter, ropier veins would require alternate treatments, such as endovenous ablation or vein surgery.
During Your Vein Treatment Procedure
The simple sclerotherapy treatment involves an injection of a sterile sclerosing agent (foamed polidocanol) directly into the vein. The solution causes the blood vessel to shrink and eventually disappear, harmlessly reabsorbed by your body. Treatments are comfortable and quick, usually with only minor stinging, cramping, or a burning sensation in the treatment area during treatment. You can return to your regular activities right after your appointment.
The number of sclerotherapy appointments you need is based on the amount of visible veins you have and your treatment goals. Typically, two to four treatments are required for the best results. In patients with a few veins, a single treatment or two sessions will usually suffice.
After treatment you may be advised to wear compression stockings for a few days to a few weeks. We will absolutely recommend avoiding the sun so that your treated veins have time to heal. Typically, you will not have any other activity restrictions. Soon after treatment, you may begin to notice relief of heaviness, achiness, and fatigue in the legs, as the veins begin to dissolve.
In general, spider veins respond to sclerotherapy in three to six weeks, and larger veins respond in three to four months. If the veins respond to the treatment, they will not reappear. However, new veins may appear over time, and if needed, you may return to our office for additional injections to keep your skin looking as clear as possible.
Take the Next Step
If you are unhappy with visible veins, including spider veins and small varicose veins, sclerotherapy can help you feel happier with your look. Now is the time to take the next step. Contact us to schedule your Nashville sclerotherapy.